Friday, January 16, 2009

tithes and offerings

Rest and sleep seem to often be considered as one and the same. Maybe this is because our only rest comes in the form of sleep? To be fully awake in mind during rest sounds odd. Yet, I find that in alert resting I hear most clearly my Lord’s voice. Yet, knowing this, I am awed at how sparingly I devote my alert times to restful devotion.

As God’s children, we tithe the first fruits of the blessings he has provided for us, rather than our leftovers. God provides sleep to those he loves. God provides rest to those he loves. Sleep and rest are not wholly synonymous. It seems quite logical that giving God our most alert times for restful study, devotion, and contemplative prayer is akin to offering him our first fruits. May God grant you and I the discipline to improve our tithes and offerings.

1 comment: